DME On-The-Fly Order Workflow
Step by Step Workflow:
"On-the-Fly" DME Orders can be created from two locations:
- Patient Dashboard → New Order quicklink → DME
- Patient Chart → Medical Record → Problems & Procedures → Durable Medical Equipment
- Click 'New'
- In the Create DME Order modal, complete all required fields: DME Item; Ordering Provider; Order Date (default is [Today]); Related Previous Diagnosis (must be an ICD-10 code)
- It is suggested that the staff associates the appointment in which the DME order was originally documented by choosing the appointment in the Associated Appointment field
- Dispense Status field is descriptions:
- Item Dispensed: The item is being dispensed to the patient immediately. This will result in the 'Dispense Date' field appearing and will be filled with today's date by default. After Save, this item can then be found in Auxiliary → DME Queue → Appointments tab → 'Item Dispensed' filter status
- Pending: For use when the item is not dispensed immediately and the patient will be picking the item up at a later date/time. Choosing this status will result in the 'Pick-Up Date' field appearing. This field should be used to document the date when the patient will return to pick up their DME item. After Save, the record of the ordered item will then be placed in the Auxiliary → DME Queue → Pending tab → Status: Pending
- Authorization Needed: For use when the DME staff determines that a Prior-Authorization must be obtained from the patient's insurance company before the item can be dispensed to the patient. By choosing this status:
- A DME precertification item will be sent to the DME Pre-cert staff in the Auxiliary → Pre-Certification Queue
- A record of the order will also be placed in the Auxiliary → DME Queue → Pending tab → Status: Authorization Needed
- Once the pre-cert team marks the item as 'Authorization Complete' or 'Authorization Denied', the DME dispense status for this order will change to Authorization Complete or Denied respectively and the DME staff will receive a notification to alert them of the status update.
- After calling the patient to notify them of the Authorization Approval, the DME staff should then change the Dispense Status to "Pending" and enter the Pick-Up Date in the Pick-Up Date Field.
- To send the patient to check-out, the DME staff should then use the 'Send to Check-Out' button after setting the Dispense Status. This will place the patient in the Front Desk → Check-out tab → Walk-In grid
Note: DME Billing Codes will only be sent to OPM when the Dispense Status field is saved as 'Item Dispensed'.